Health Catalyst introduced the Health Catalyst Data Operating System (DOS), touting it as a "breakthrough engineering approach" that combines the features of data warehousing, clinical data repositories, and health information exchanges in a single, common-sense technology platform.
It is widely believed that the future of healthcare will be centered around the broad and more effective use of data, and DOS is Health Catalyst's response to that truth.
DOS is a vendor-agnostic digital backbone for healthcare, enabling healthcare organizations to populate workflow information systems with critical point-of-decision insights, significantly increasing the value of their EHRs. The system is designed as future-proof, allowing Health Catalyst's new generation software applications to be designed and developed in a fraction of the time, and with a "decision support first" mindset by reusing existing data. The same applies to third-party application development, which can leverage DOS for the benefit of Health Catalyst's clients.
Already built and deployed at two Health Catalyst client sites, DOS delivers much faster software application development that are tailored to specific needs, not generic requirements; while providing physicians with more intelligent software that can be tuned to their preferences and optimized to their disciplines. On the other hand, patients benefit from the same data and applications with more personalized care.
"Clinical and financial decision support at the point of care is almost nonexistent in healthcare, restricted to a few pioneering organizations that can afford the engineering and informatics staff to implement and maintain it," Health Catalyst CEO Dan Burton said in a statement. "With DOS, we can make that kind of decision support affordable and effective, raising the value of existing electronic health records and making new software applications possible, too."
According to Health Catalyst, DOS solves the 6 common headaches for health systems:
- Enables and simplifies the upcoming tsunami of data requirements for population health and risk-based payment models. Only 8% of the data required for precision medicine and population health resides in today's EHRs.
- Improves physician and care provider satisfaction by providing the right data, at the right time, in the right modality.
- Leverages legacy data warehouses without the need to replace them.
- Accelerates the benefits of mergers, acquisitions, and partnerships through rapid and granular data integration of the new organization.
- Enables Personal Health Records (PHR) for patients in an unprecedented way, including portability of the data from one care delivery system to another.
- Provides an orders-of-magnitude less expensive strategic option to "rip and replace" for integrating disparate EHRs with a single vendor solution.
Health Catalyst clients can watch the development of DOS via the Health Catalyst Community.