21 million people used smartphones for health self-monitoring in 2013

health self monitoring

Between 2011 and 2012, the number of mobile users who downloaded at least one health-related app onto their smartphone doubled, and that trend will continue, according to latest findings from BCC Research.

The global market for selected health self-monitoring technologies reached $1.1 billion in 2013, and then $3.2 billion a year later. The market is poised to grow at a CAGR of 42.9% to reach $18.8 billion in 2019.

The health self-monitoring technologies BCC is looking at include wristbands, smartwatches and other peripherals, mobile self-monitoring apps, smartphones and other mobile “hub” devices that collect data from peripherals as well as their own onboard sensors.

Right now, these technologies enable users to record details of their daily activity, from counting steps or miles walked, and floors climbed, to monitoring calorie consumption, as well as daily patterns and hours of sleep. Future technologies will take it from there, expanding the range of physiological variables that can be self-monitored and enhancing the usefulness of the data thus collected.

“About 21 million individuals globally used their smartphones for self-monitoring their health in 2013. Approximately 17 million (81%) of these individuals lived in the U.S., while the remaining 4 million (19%) lived in other countries,” says BCC research analyst Andrew McWilliams. “The number of U.S. smartphone self-trackers is expected to grow at a CAGR of 27.9% (from 2014 to 2019). The number of smartphone self-trackers in other countries is expected to grow from 6.3 million in 2014 to 60.6 million in 2019, with a CAGR of 57.3%.”