Garmin announced feature updates for the Forerunner 245, Forerunner 245 Music, Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945 GPS running smartwatches, which are now available through a free software update.
What is included?
With this update, athletes can take advantage of the following features:
- Improved VO2 max: Record VO2 max during a trail run activity (can be turned off if desired) and receive a more accurate VO2 max that accounts for difficult terrain or footing when using the “run” activity profile.
- Rate of perceived exertion (RPE) and feel: After a workout, an athlete can record how hard it was and how it felt. These subjective ratings are then uploaded to Garmin Connect as part of the activity. Also available on the Forerunner 45 and Forerunner 45S.
- Improved intensity minutes: Find out how and when daily intensity minutes were earned.
- Daily suggested workouts: Receive on-device running daily workout suggestions based on training history, fitness level and recovery time. (Forerunner 245 and Forerunner 245 Music)
- Advanced sleep and sleep score by Firstbeat Analytics: Right from the wrist, review advanced sleep metrics including sleep stages and receive a sleep score and sleep insights based on the quality and quantity of the previous night’s sleep. (Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945)
- Ultrarun activity: Log time spent at aid stations while using the ultrarun activity with rest timer. (Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945)
- Additional animated on-screen workouts: Easy-to-follow workouts, including cardio, strength, yoga and Pilates can be downloaded from the Garmin Connect app and synced directly to the watch. (Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945)
- Improved fitness age: Receive a more accurate estimate of the body’s “fitness age” using chronological age, activity, resting heart rate and BMI or body fat percentage. (Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945)
Users can update their Forerunner by pairing the watch with the Garmin Connect app.
Garmin products are made for runners, cyclists, swimmers and athletes of all levels and abilities. Committed to developing technology that helps people stay active and elevate performance, Garmin believes “every day is an opportunity to innovate and a chance to beat yesterday.” Other Garmin fitness brands include Tacx and Firstbeat Analytics.