WHOOP, which calls itself the human performance company, announced the next generation of its proprietary technology, WHOOP 4.0, a personalized 24/7 digital fitness and health coach. The new wearable leverages an upgraded sensor configuration for optimal accuracy and includes WHOOP Body featuring Any-Wear Technology, a first-of-its-kind line of smart apparel which enables members to wear their WHOOP 4.0 on multiple locations across the body.
WHOOP continually delivers meaningful in-app updates for an enhanced member experience. The WHOOP membership is unique in that hardware is included as a fundamental benefit. WHOOP members will receive first access to upgrade to WHOOP 4.0 free of charge. WHOOP 4.0 will also be available for purchase for new healthcare, government, business, and athletics customers.
WHOOP 4.0 features
- Upgraded Sensor Configuration: The active sensor area now contains 5 LEDs (three green, one red, and one infrared), 4 photodiodes, and advanced algorithms to provide even more accurate heart rate measurements
- 33% Smaller Size: WHOOP 4.0 is 33% smaller than WHOOP 3.0 with a five-day battery life
- New Features – Sleep Coach with Haptic Alerts, Pulse Oximeter, Skin Temperature Sensor and Health Monitor, the last of which allows members to easily download and export 30-day or 180-day trends of their metrics into a report that can be shared with a coach, trainer, PT, or physician
- WHOOP Battery Pack 4.0: The upgraded battery pack built for on-the-go charging is now waterproof and lets members double tap to view battery level
- Next Generation Battery Technology: WHOOP 4.0 is the first product in the world powered with Sila’s silicon anode battery materials. Engineered with cell configuration improvements and long cycle life, the new battery delivers 17% higher energy density than WHOOP 3.0, facilitating a reimagined industrial design that also unlocks WHOOP Body
As for the mentioned WHOOP Body featuring Any-Wear Technology, it enables WHOOP 4.0 to collect accurate data from areas including the torso, waist, and calf. This new collection of apparel is the first of its kind in the wearables industry and allows members to wear WHOOP 4.0 off of their wrist. In addition to apparel, WHOOP has developed new accessories and designs, including Fast Link Slider that makes it easy to swap WHOOP 4.0 between a variety of colorful bands and all-new WHOOP Body sensor-enhanced technical apparel; SuperKnit & HydroKnit Bands; and Any-Wear Detection, which identifies when and where WHOOP 4.0 is on the body.
WHOOP Body featuring Any-Wear Technology is available in two collections with prices ranging from $54 to $109. The Training Collection includes sports bras, compression tops, leggings, shorts, and athletic boxers. The Intimates Collection includes bralettes and everyday boxers. WHOOP Body and SuperKnit Bands are only available in combination with WHOOP 4.0. As part of the WHOOP membership, members get WHOOP 4.0 for free with access to the app for $18 per month.
On the record
“I’ve been thinking about this technology for more than a decade, and I can promise you that this is the most innovative product we have ever released,” said Will Ahmed, WHOOP Founder & CEO. “We’ve always aspired to develop wearable technology that is either cool or invisible. With the launch of WHOOP 4.0 and WHOOP Body, we have accomplished both.”
WHOOP has recently closed a massive $200 million funding round that was led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2, bringing the company’s valuation to a whopping $3.6 billion — while making WHOOP the “most valuable standalone human performance company in the world.”
Part of those funds went for M&A purposes, with WHOOP shortly announcing the acquisition of PUSH, Toronto-based sports technology startup that makes the velocity-based training coaching solution. This move was made to help WHOOP “unlock deeper strength-training insights.”