Healthcare technology-focused accelerator Healthbox has selected 10 early-stage companies to participate in the inaugural Healthbox Salt Lake City accelerator, which was launched through partnerships with Intermountain Healthcare, Health Equity, Zions Bank and BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company).
Each of the 10 startup companies — nine from Utah and one from Massachusetts — has been offered an initial seed investment of $50,000 from Healthbox and is now participating in the three-month program in Salt Lake City. They will be provided with access to the Healthbox partners and global expert network, supporting their growth in a complicated healthcare system.
The 10 companies participating in the accelerator are:
- Asserta Health – which enables employers and health plans to reduce medical spending by deputizing consumers with a purchasing card used to pay the full bill at the time of service, even when all or a portion of the funds come from their health plan.
- Kosmo Technologies – developer of an airway feedback device that can identify in real-time if an oral appliance will work for a patient, and the optimal jaw position, to treat obstructive sleep apnea.
- LIYEN – creator of next generation spacer device for asthma inhalers Slyder that increases compliance through innovative product design and customization. LIYEN is also participating in Healthbox Chicago.
- LowestMed – provides prescription drug pricing information to consumers enabling them to shop, compare and save on out-of-pocket costs.
- ProMD – reduces hospital readmissions by showing discharged patients exactly what they need to do and when they need to do it. It also streamlines communication between patients and their medical team.
- simplicityAirway – developer of an adapter device that allows for endotracheal intubation and airway access without the need to remove critical life support instruments.
- Symptomly – a Web-based dashboard and communication portal that allows hospitals and insurance companies to manage their chronic disease population.
- Tute Genomics – a cloud-based platform that enables healthcare organizations to provide precision medicine through genomics.
- whatsnewMD – partners with physicians groups and health systems to create a standardized platform for identifying and evaluating medical technologies.
- XableCath – developer of a catheter-based device for crossing obstructed lesions in the peripheral arterial system.
In addition, Healthbox also announced that it has set aside an additional $300,000 for potential new investments in one or more of these 10 companies participating in this initial Utah-based cohort.
This is the eleventh accelerator operated by Healthbox since its original Chicago program launched in January 2012 as a way to identify and support new businesses serving the healthcare industry.