S+ by ResMed has been announced as the “world’s first non-contact sleep system.” The device is touted as a personalized sleep solution that uses patented bio-motion sensors to measure an individual’s sleep stages and environment, and deliver feedback that helps improve sleep from the very first night.
The S+ monitors breathing patterns and body movements without requiring wristbands, mattress strips or electrodes. The system also captures the light, noise and temperature levels in the room and allows users to log factors such as caffeine and alcohol intake, as well as exercise, to deliver personalized sleep strategies through an accompanying mobile app (for iOS and Android).
ResMed’s connected system will send real-time data to users’ smartphone and tablets, and provide them with sleep scores and charts. The company claims the S+ goes beyond today’s fitness devices, providing personalized suggestions informed by more than two million nights of proprietary sleep data.
The system also captures the light, noise and temperature levels in the room, and allows users to log factors such as caffeine and alcohol intake, as well as exercise.“Using our patented SleepSensor technology that connects direct to your smartphone, the S+ allows for more accurate in-home monitoring, and represents a quantum leap forward in sleep science to achieve better sleep,” said Don Darkin, president of ResMed’s sleep-disordered breathing business unit.
Some of the tools S+ by ResMed provides include:
- Relax to Sleep – provides soothing sounds that synchronize with breathing patterns to help falling asleep at bedtime.
- Sleep Score – combines multiple sleep measurements with research-driven averages for age and gender to deliver a daily sleep score of 0 to 100 in addition to “mind” and “body re-charge” scores.
- S+ Mentor – delivers personalized and actionable feedback.
- Sleep Charts – creates individualized color-coded charts based on sleep stages (light, deep and REM) and a breakdown of the sleep session throughout the night.
- Mind Clear – allows users to record a voice clip, or type a text note to help clear their thoughts on the path to a good night’s sleep.
- Smart Alarm – allows users to set a window of time so the S+ will wake them only when they’ve entered a light stage of sleep.
The S+ will be available for $149.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond stores beginning in mid-October and online at mysplus.com.